Thursday, January 8, 2009

Speaking of Color!

With all this hype about color and finding your true race, I have a story that made me think twice about my ethnicity. Now don't get me wrong, I do feel that I know my true race, but this experience had me thinking hard.

One day in the summer I was with my good friend Lucas. We decided to ride bikes one day because we didn't want to waste gas. Plus, we just wanted to ride like we did back in the day. Anyways, we decided to go all around. After awhile, we went in the Secret Places neighborhood. We were about to turn back until we saw a house with a huge basketball court. We made our way and checked it out. It had a nice pool and everything. It was like we saw a celebrity's house in a way.

After the house, we kept riding and went down this one street right behind the house. It looked very suspicious, but we still strolled down it. I have to tell you, it was the most awkward situation I was ever in. The street we went on was a dead-end and there were black people just everywhere outside their house staring us down. Even though I am part black, I felt so weird. It was really like the scene in Caucasia.

It was also like that stereotypical neighborhood you see in movies where everyone is blasting music outside, while kids are playing in the water and the grown ups are playing cards.

So as we were riding down the dead-end street, they kept looking at us like we didn't belong. One person even told us, "you guys better get out of here before something bad happen." I was scared, no joke.

We dipped out of there immediately. It was a big shocker. I will never forget that day. It was an eye opener. I didn't know what to think after that. I was really thinking about my race. I was questioning if I was white or black. Yes it sounds sad, but I just couldn't believe the way they were staring at me. Since I am somewhat dark, I thought they wouldn't give evil looks like that.

Just a great experience though.

1 comment:

Mr. Kunkle said...

Interesting story, Keenen. It does sound like a scene out of Caucasia.

Thanks for sharing this with us.