Wednesday, January 14, 2009

What is Race, Anyways?

The other day in class, we had a very interesting discussion about what exactly is race. We were split up into three groups and analyzed articles about race. I read the article about when a principal gathered the whole student body and asked who will ask "outside of their race" for prom. Some people raised their hands, then the principal cancelled prom. That was a huge eye-opener. The funny thing is that the same man became the superintendent of that school later on. I don't know how that would work. The article was very scientific. It really confused me at first.

Anyways, it just really got me thinking about what really splits people's ethnicity up. I personally think everyone is the same no matter what. It just happens to be that people are darker than others, and people have different eyes. Race is much more than skin. Maybe it's genetics that really splits us up, who knows? Either way, we are all unique in our own way. Who cares if you're "this" or "that." Be proud of what you are. Don't let people knock you down.

Thats all I got to say.

No comments: